Reference Number: JO-2310-524439
Senior Electronics Engineer
Job Type: Permanent
Location: High Wycombe
The Senior Electronics Engineer will be part of the team responsible for developing the hardware and software for our clients expanding product portfolio, and is accountable to the Head of Product R&D for the delivery of designs within agreed timescales. The Senior Electronics Engineers primary focus will be on electronics design. You will also work closely with other functions, including manufacturing, regulatory and commercial, together with external collaborators with the key objective of developing product designs that meet customer and market needs and are compliant with regulations and fit for manufacturing.
- Within parameters delegated by the Head of Product R&D, manage the end-to-end delivery of product development projects, whether variants of existing products or new products, including verification, documentation for the company quality system and transfer to manufacturing.
- Drive the digital electronic design component of current and next generation wearable medical devices including PCB design and layout, microprocessor electronics and related software undertaking testing of hardware and software components as necessary.
- Undertake full verification testing of existing products and new components for product enhancements, and complete follow up actions and any relevant manufacturing documentation.
- Play a key role supporting the Principal Engineer in identifying and researching novel approaches and new options and capabilities for future product developments.
- Implement any necessary design changes.
- Oversee the diagnosis of product complaints received, identifying the root causes of any problems. Ensure all analysis and resultant actions are systematically captured in CAPA system.
- Work with other team members to manage all inputs and analyses required for the Company’s technical files, liaising closely with the Company’s regulatory function.
- Work with Manufacturing on technical aspects of supplier selection, new component and second sourcing and validation, and manufacturing scale up, visiting subcontractor facilities as necessary.
Annual Product R&D Spend (exc Clinical): circa £700K
Part of internal team of 4 R&D Employees
Personal attributes and core skills:
- The job holder must have knowledge of a range of relevant disciplines, especially PCB layout and design, but also physics, digital electronics, electrical engineering and biomedical engineering.
- They should have both formal graduate level qualifications and at least 4 years of relevant practical experience.
- They will be experienced in product design and development preferably in the context of the medical devices industry and must have a good knowledge of all relevant regulations that pertain to medical devices and an understanding of the clinical setting for devices.
- They should have some experience of developing electronics for medical devices preferably with specific experience of generating efficiencies in production cost, space utilisation and power consumption.
- They will also have an appreciation of the requirements of factory based volume manufacturing.
- They will need to have good project planning abilities and be effective at team working with good collaboration and influencing skills.
- They will have a systematic approach to problem solving, preferably with experience of using analytical tools (e.g. Root Cause analysis, Ishikawa diagrams)
- They will need the credibility and stature to be able to mentor and help develop other colleagues in the R&D team and the potential to progress to a managerial role with increasing responsibility for staff and resource management.
- An eye for detail, thoroughness, and a strong compliance orientation are key requirements.
- As part of a small team the role is very hands-on and so a preference for practical collaboration with colleagues is important.
- They will need to have good communication skills, both written and verbal.
- They will need to understand the context of their role within the commercial objectives of the company, and have the necessary degree of pragmatism, flexibility and sense of urgency to succeed in a small company environment.